HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Unconcious Mind

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paradosi
Admin

PostSubject: The Unconcious Mind   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:45 pm

What are your thoughts on dreams, such as REM sleep or other various dream stages. Not much is none in this field but I found a small article that explains it a bit though not entirely accurate.

"There is no universally agreed biological definition of dreaming. General observation shows that dreams are strongly associated with rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, during which an electroencephalogram shows brain activity to be most like wakefulness. Participant-nonremembered dreams during non-REM sleep are normally more mundane in comparison.[10] During a typical lifespan, a human spends a total of about six years dreaming(which is about two hours each night)Most dreams last only 5 to 20 minutes.[11] It is unknown where in the brain dreams originate, if there is a single origin for dreams or if multiple portions of the brain are involved, or what the purpose of dreaming is for the body or mind. It has been hypothesized that dreams are the result of dimethyltryptamine (DMT) in the brain. A biochemical mechanism for this was proposed by the medical researcher J. C. Callaway, who suggested in 1988 that DMT might be connected with visual dream phenomena, where brain DMT levels are periodically elevated to induce visual dreaming and possibly other natural states of mind."

I myself have frequently interesting dreams which are sometimes a bit to realistic, though this could be achieved by the fact that I sleepwalk sometimes(walk up in the bathtub one night). Discuss the topic of dreams, the unconscious mind, or any factor dealing with the brain when asleep.

Last edited by Paradosi on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liter_Of_Cola

PostSubject: Re: The Unconcious Mind   Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:08 pm

My subconscious scares me... A LOT...
My dreams range from mildly erotic to horror film masterpieces... and sometimes both at the same time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drapheonas

PostSubject: Re: The Unconcious Mind   Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:21 pm

so basically you dream of rocky horror picture show all the time liter?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackout

PostSubject: Re: The Unconcious Mind   Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:02 pm

Since I am a teenager, my dreams usually revolve around the things I most think about: girls, sex, violence, Espionage, and a combination of all four. I believe that what you think about affects your dreams in some way, but other times my dreams are just really, really, weird.

P.S. Does anyone ever have dreams where they actually taste something, or feel pain? Just want to know if I hurt myself in my sleep or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paradosi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Unconcious Mind   Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Blackout wrote:
Since I am a teenager, my dreams usually revolve around the things I most think about: girls, sex, violence, Espionage, and a combination of all four. I believe that what you think about affects your dreams in some way, but other times my dreams are just really, really, weird.

P.S. Does anyone ever have dreams where they actually taste something, or feel pain? Just want to know if I hurt myself in my sleep or something.

In REM sleep your senses go into overdrive so you begin to taste and feel things without it actually happening. Your mind is designed to make things appear false sometimes as if its a guideline, and thats where mind over matter comes in. It is also said that conflicts and emotions are resolved during sleep since your subconscious handles them in a way we do not understand or comprehend yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackout

PostSubject: Re: The Unconcious Mind   Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but basically our brain is smarter when we are asleep?

From what I understand, our brain can resolve conflicts we have not reached yet and create artificial senses for us to use in our dreams. Basically, our brain can fix all of our daily problems, but only on it's own terms.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paradosi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Unconcious Mind   Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:41 pm

We are not sure yet, but it is fairly logical that our subconscious is more intelligent than our conscious mind due to some abnormalities. During sleep your brain also shows more usage of the white/gray matter in the central chord. This is where most of your memories are put as well as links to many of your senses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drapheonas

PostSubject: Re: The Unconcious Mind   Sun May 10, 2009 8:39 am

We use but a small percentage four brains conciously. It was 10% right? But our brains aren't smarter than us, since we have essentially direct control of our brains if we know how to. Humans are more complicated, and in fact, are capable of more, than they themselves realize. Same goes for other animals you could say.. but the difference is in my opinion is that we actually are actually standing on the edge of our own ignorance, unlike animals who really can't do anything about their place in this world because they are in the end virtually unaware of themselves, others, and the world around them and are still much less evolved mentally than we are, yet we are at a crucial point in our existence. Humans may/will eventually change into something intelectually superior and more aware than they are even now. But they may not. We may or may not be stuck in our current state, because we are still fairly unaware of our selves, and though more aware of others than animals are, are more stuck on themselves, just as animals are, and we certainly as a maority are very unaware of the world around us. We need to get out of our brains and into the world. Become concious, of that which we are unconcious.

By the way sicne we're on dreams and how they are apart of the unconcious ever look into actually controllign your dreams? Never done it yet myself but sounds kick ass. It sorta makes you wonder about just how big of a line there really is between our concious and unconcious. (or Subconcious)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Unconcious Mind   

Back to top Go down

The Unconcious Mind
Page 1 of 1