HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Entomophagy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paradosi
Admin

PostSubject: Entomophagy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:46 am

What are you thoughts on Entomophagy (Eating insects as a food)?
Theres are many benefits in eating insects instead of meat, such as increased efficiency and more productivity. I found a nice article on the benefits of Entomophagy which got me to want to try it.

"Insects generally have a higher food conversion efficiency than more traditional meats. While many insects can have an energy input to protein output ratio of around 4:1, raised livestock has a ratio closer to 54:1 [6]. This is partially due to the fact that feed first needs to be grown for most traditional livestock. Additionally endothermic (warm-blooded) vertebrates need to use a significantly greater amount of energy just to stay warm whereas ectothermic (cold blooded) plants or insects do not. [7] An index which can be used as a measure is the Efficiency of conversion of ingested food to body substance: for example, only 10% of ingested food is converted to body substance by beef cattle, versus 19-31% by silkworms and 44% by German cockroaches. Studies concerning the house cricket (Acheta domesticus) provide further evidence for the efficiency of insects as a food source. When reared at 30°C or more and fed a diet of equal quality to the diet used to rear conventional livestock, crickets showed a food conversion twice as efficient as pigs and broiler chicks, four times that of sheep, and six times higher than steers (oxen) when losses in carcass trim and dressing percentage are counted.

Insects reproduce at a faster rate than beef animals. A female cricket can lay from 1,200 to 1,500 eggs in 3 to 4 weeks, while for beef the ratio is four breeding animals for each market animal produced. This gives house crickets a true food conversion efficiency almost 20 times higher than beef.[1] For this reason and because of the essential amino acids content of insects, some people propose the development of entomophagy to provide a major source of protein in human nutrition. Protein production for human consumption would be more effective and consume fewer resources than vertebrate protein. This makes insect meat more ecological than vertebrate meat.

Insects have many attractive qualities for food production besides their high energy efficiency. For example the spatial usage and water requirements are only a fraction of that required to produce the same mass of food with cattle farming. Production of 150g of grasshopper meat requires only very little water, while cattle requires 3290 liters to produce the same amount of beef."

Feel free to discuss in an intellectual manner!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackout

PostSubject: Re: Entomophagy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:51 am

Okay I gotta say this. Even if the insects aren't that bad tasting, healthy, and basically unlimited, there is absolutely no way I will ever eat them in their current form. The only bug I would probably eat would be worms or larvae, and only that if they are fried.

Our society is too against bugs to make it a stable resource, but when we learn to overcome our fears and chow down, America will definitely benefit from it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay_thou

PostSubject: Re: Entomophagy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:47 pm

I am going to have to agree with blackout. No matter the benefits I really could not force myself to eat something like that, no matter the taste. I would think to much about what im eating to finish even the smallest portion. The only way I could poccibly eat something like that is if I did not know i was eating an insect.

Is eating insects sanitary anyway?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paradosi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Entomophagy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Jay_thou wrote:
I am going to have to agree with blackout. No matter the benefits I really could not force myself to eat something like that, no matter the taste. I would think to much about what im eating to finish even the smallest portion. The only way I could poccibly eat something like that is if I did not know i was eating an insect.

Is eating insects sanitary anyway?

They are quite sanitary and healthy, providing a lot more nutrients and protein compared to beef and other meats. In beneficial terms they are extremely healthy and useful, they also taste quite good, especially dried crickets taste like potato chips. The only reason people don't eat them is because they aren't used to it and have a slight phobia of them since they are raised to hate and feel disgust around them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liter_Of_Cola

PostSubject: Re: Entomophagy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Meh... I'll eat anything once, so why the fuck not eat bugs? Paradosi says they taste like chips, and I like chips.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drapheonas

PostSubject: Re: Entomophagy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:22 am

Well depends on the insect... technically catapillers are insects but they taste AWFUL. They taste literally like puss... leafy puss. But, that being said I have heard crickets taste rather good fried, and I have had cholocate covered ants.. also good. And therem sut be a reason animals love those annoying screeching bugs that come out during the summer... So I say the concept of eating bugs is interesting... it's just some bugs don't taste very appetizing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liter_Of_Cola

PostSubject: Re: Entomophagy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:21 am

Drapheonas wrote:
Well depends on the insect... technically catapillers are insects but they taste AWFUL. They taste literally like puss... leafy puss. But, that being said I have heard crickets taste rather good fried, and I have had cholocate covered ants.. also good. And therem sut be a reason animals love those annoying screeching bugs that come out during the summer... So I say the concept of eating bugs is interesting... it's just some bugs don't taste very appetizing.

How do you know what pus tastes like?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drapheonas

PostSubject: Re: Entomophagy   Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Long story short, I bit a hang nail too much and apparently there was puss underneath, it isn't pleasant, I would not reccomend it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Entomophagy   

Back to top Go down

Entomophagy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Terra Forum :: Terra Basis :: Intelligensia-
Jump to: